Blogging is a critical part of businesses online marketing strategy. It’s a media channel, you own and control that helps establish your credibility and expertise, while also providing a platform for engaging more directly with customers. Your online marketing strategy can’t be helping your ROI without great marketing content, and your business blog shouldn’t be ignored.
HubSpot “has found that companies that blog generate 55% more website visitors, 97% more inbound links, and have 434% more indexed pages than companies that don’t. Even if you’re posting once a week, you may not have leveraged the full power of content creation for your small business brand”.
Some of the most common business blogging mistakes I see and some insight on how you can improve:
- Stop using a someone else’s website for your blog. Is your company blog housed on your website, or are you using Blogger, WordPress.com or Tumblr? While it’s incredibly easy to get started on these free blogging platforms (and it is a good place to practice before you start), but you can’t afford this blogging mistake. If your blog is hosted elsewhere, your company website won’t receive the SEO boost it deserves with all your hard work on content creation! And isn’t that one of if not the main reason you are blogging?
- Does your business blog tend to be neglected when things get busy? We recognize that small business owners rarely have much free time, but research has indicated that blogging on a regular basis is necessary in order to see real results. It’s critical that you both post frequently and on schedule. Posting sporadically can impact how well your blog ranks in search engines, but can also hurt readership numbers, as visitors may think you stopped posting and never return.
- That being said don’t overload yourself by committing to an aggressive posting strategy than your schedule will allow. Even if you can only post once or twice weekly, making a commitment and sticking to it is necessary for success.
- Be sure to Optimize for Search. While SEO has definitely evolved over the past few years, it’s not dead, optimizing key metadata is important to help readers share and find your blog. This data, including the title tag and description, are critical so readers can easily share your blog on social networks like Facebook. This data also helps search engines correctly index your blog posts.
- It’s no secret that business blogging is a powerful tool for gaining and maintaining a high search ranking. If you’re not leveraging internal linking, keyword research, tags and other SEO strategies to ensure your content can be found by search users, your inbound marketing strategy could be suffering.
- However don’t be over-optimizing for search, what worked 3 years ago doesn’t work today.
- Be sure you’re not still writing for the Google search algorithm of 2010? Keyword stuffing or even just using a high keyword density isn’t an effective business blogging tactic in the world of Panda 3.9, where quality trumps quantity. Google realizes that people want great content, and the main way it determines value is through volume of inbound links. Write information, tutorials and articles that people want to link to by including a distinct voice, your own style and humor.
- Another common mistake many businesses make when blogging is not using images. Using images helps keep readers engaged on blog post by providing visual and psychological breaks.
- Don’t forget to leverage Social Media. You’ve gone though all the effort of building your blog on your website. You’ve filled out a blogging schedule and you’re publishing at least once but preferably a few times a week. But if you’re not promoting your content on social media, you could be missing out on quite a few opportunities for visibility. How are your Twitter followers going to know the content exists! Make social media promotion part of your online marketing strategy.
Keep in mind, with your online marketing you are building a complex and long-standing infrastructure that, will grow with time and effort. As important as quality relevant content is also consistency in posting new quality relevant content.
As I have mentioned, you must devise a blogging strategy and you must use the best resources of what today’s technology has to offer.